Sunday, February 8, 2009

REST IN PEACE AKIK....... A tribute to Henry Jeom.


We buried Akik today. He was the closest I get to having a grandad. He died peacefully at 4pm on Friday after 2 months battle with cancer. Ironically, he was diagnosed and admitted on the 2nd anniversary of his beloved wife's passing too.

I never known my real two grandads but it seemed that this grandad of mine who regarded my mom and dad as his own was always around when I was growing up. He was the reason we 'balik kampung' during Gawai or Christmas. Now............

What can I tell you about My 'Akik'. I didn't know much about him but I know he was always there on every important days in my life. I didn't have any close relationship with him but knowing that I can looked up to him to be an elder in my life was just enough. He was family, he was my grandad, the only one that accepted us as we were, opened his life, his house and his entire family to us and I loved him for that.

My only regrets is not being there when he was hospitalised and going through the ordeal of fighting the sickness. Honestly, I just couldn't bear the thought of him dying and that he had limited time with us. I didn't want to cry in front of him and I know it was even harder on all his children especially Aunty Linda and his grand daughters Emma and Michelle.

My prayers with you Akik; kiss Inek when you see her and you will be missed until we meet again.....

Obituary - courtesy of Borneo Post 8thFebruary 2009.

No comments: